Potatoes Slow-Cooked in Beef Stock
- 2 tbsps butter
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sized onions, peeled, cut in half and sliced thin
- 1 1/2 lbs of Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes, sliced thin
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh thyme leaves, to taste
- 1 cup (or more) beef stock
Preheat oven to 300F. Butter a casserole dish.
In a large frying pan over medium to medium-low heat, melt the butter along with the olive oil. Add the sliced onions and gently sauté them until soft and lightly golden, approximately 20 minutes. Remove from heat and spread 1/2 the sautéed onion in the prepared casserole dish.
Layer on half of the sliced potatoes and season with salt, pepper, and thyme leaves. Add the rest of the onions, potatoes, salt, pepper, and thyme leave. Pour the beef stock over the top.
Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake until all the liquid has been absorbed and potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, approximately 2 to 3 hours. Remove the aluminum foil for the last 1 hours of cooking if you like a crisp top. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes.
Before serving, sprinkle additional fresh thyme leaves over the top.
Makes 4 servings.