Randy's Red Wine Chocolate Layer Cake with Raspberry Buttercream
- Cake Ingredients for each layer
- 6 tbsps unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white granulated ugar
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup full bodied red wine (AWI Gran Corte or AWI Cabernet Suavignon)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Raspberry Buttercream ingredients
- 1 cup Rasperries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Pinch of salt
Pre-heat oven to 325F, with rack in the middle.
Line the bottom of two (2) 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper and spray the interior with a non-stick spray.
In a large bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream the butter until smooth.Add-in the sugars and beat until fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the egg and yolk, and beat well.Add-in the red wine and vanilla. The batter will look a little uneven.
Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together right over your wet batter.Mix until ¾ combined then fold the rest together with a rubber spatula.
Spread batter into one of the prepared pans and bake for 25-30 minutes until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.Th top of the cake will be shinny and smooth.Cool pan on a rack for about 10-minutes then flip out of pan and continue cooling on the rack.
Repeat steps 3-6 for the second layer.
Raspberry Buttercream Instructions
Puree the raspberries in a food processor and pass through a mesh strainer to remove seeds.This should yield at least ¼ cup of puree.
With an electric hand mixer, beat the butter, powdered sugar, salt and raspberry puree on low speed until combined.Then increase speed and beat on high for 2-3 minutes until smooth and fluffy, scrapping bowl down as necessary.
Place on cooled cake layer on a cake stand or plate. Cover top with frosting about 1/3-1/2 inch.
Place remaining cake layer on top with best side up.Dust with a little powdered sugar.